Become a Volunteer
What Do Volunteers Do?
The Get Ready for School™ program runs from January or February to June each year in community centre locations across Waterloo Region. Classes are 2-hours in length and are offered mornings and afternoons. Volunteers in the Get Ready for School program assist preschool children in play and learning activities. They work with a team of instructors to provide children with meaningful learning experiences.
During a free play time, volunteers interact and play with the children to support their development of language, communication, and motor skills. Volunteers have conversations with children, help them build and play with toys in creative ways and read books with them. During a small group learning time, volunteers assist children in performing skills and help to direct their attention towards the learning activities.
Not only do volunteers help young children prepare for Junior Kindergarten, they help build children’s confidence, and self-esteem as they become confident learners. To learn more about the impact of our Get Ready for School program, visit the Program Results page.
Is This Opportunity Right for Me?
Volunteering with the Get Ready for School program provides on-the-job training, an opportunity to enhance your resume, make new contacts and apply for a letter of reference. It will also provide you with an understanding of early childhood education and learning principles. Volunteers from a variety of backgrounds and ages have been successful and enjoyed participating in the program. This is also an excellent fit for university/college student placements.
Before volunteering, please consider:
- a volunteer commitment is a minimum of two hours per week, which represents a single class time. Volunteers are not required to commit to the entire program, but a regular, weekly commitment is appreciated.
- volunteers will be asked to attend one, 2.5 hour training session, ideally prior to starting in a class. The training provides volunteers with an introduction to the program, teaching strategies and Volunteer Hanbook, which prepares the volunteer to support the children’s learning..
- a current Vulnerable Sector police record check is required.
- volunteers must provide two references.
- volunteers must be able to sit on the floor for periods of time to interact with children.
If this position is not a fit, please consider one of our other Volunteer Opportunities.
It’s easy to get involved as a Get Ready for School volunteer. You can start anytime throughout the program.
Please note: Volunteer opportunities for this program are planned to open in January 2021. The program staff will get in touch with you during this time. Feel free to complete the form below at your convenience.
Step 1: Determine the site at which you would like to volunteer by reviewing the Sites and Program Schedule page.
Step 2: Complete and submit the Volunteer Form below. The program team will be in touch with you promptly to discuss the opportunity.
Thank you so much for choosing to make a difference in the lives of preschoolers. Be sure to visit the Stories page to learn more about the impact your gift of time makes.